January Watercolor Classes
3 Hour Class:
My "Watercolor Immersion" class will start for beginners, with the basics of watercolor, demonstration of the materials, demonstrations of techniques, color theory, and structure and composition. This class will teach traditional transparent watercolor techniques for beginners, and advance along with the students' progress. It is my hope to include instruction of a technique developed by and unique to myself that I call fusionism. I will start with the basics of setting up a watercolor palette, an explanation of the materials used and demonstrate their uses, discuss the elements of painting, demonstrate the various techniques of watercolor painting (wet on dry, alla prima (wet on wet), dry brush, glazing, positive and negative shapes and the various kinds of washes. While no watercolor painting experience is required, an ability to draw is essential.
The start of each class will be lecture time with some demonstrations while the rest of the class will be studio time to work on the day's project.
As time progresses, so will the difficulty of the class projects. While this is a class for beginner watercolorists, new students will be welcomed at any time as long as they understand that they may need to stay after class for some private "catchup" instruction.
My goal is to start with very simple, elemental watercolor projects and if there is interest, let the class evolve into creative mixed media and larger, more challenging projects. This will be based on any interest shown by the students to do so.
The following materials should be purchased or accounted for by the beginning of the term.
Traditional watercolor classes:
Watercolor paint, available at Cheap Joe’s Art Materials, Boone, NC. (There is a discount for students of the Watauga County Arts Council)
· Winsor & Newton brand (one tube each): Red – Alizarin Crimson / 37 ml
· Scarlet Lake / 37 ml
· Rose Madder Genuine/37 ml: Blue – Winsor Blue / 37 ml, Cerulean Blue / 37 ml
· French Ultramarine blue / 37 ml
· Cobalt Blue: Yellow – Winsor Lemon / 37 ml
· Winsor yellow deep / 37 ml: Green – Winsor Green/37 ml
· Viridian Green/37: Brown – Raw Umber
· Burnt Sienna: Rose Madder Genuine
· Holbein spray bottle – 2 oz
· Liquid masking fluid/ Pebleo/Cheap Joe’s
· 36” metal straight edge (available at Lowes)
· Paper/Arches 140 cold press watercolor sheet, 22x30”- 4 sheets
· Grafix Prepared Frisket film (1 package)
· Saran wrap
· Stapler with staples Watauga Arts Will Provide one but you can bring you own if needed.
· 2B pencil w/eraser (white plastic not pink!)(Blum gum eraser at Hobby Lobby is a good one)
· Drawing paper pad 11x14” minimum size
· Gray scale and value finder (cheap joes)
o Miller’s Mottler Flat, size 2 and size 1
o Miller’s pseudosable flat #12
o Artist paint brushes- superior sable hair artists round point tip set (set of 6, available through amazon.com. If you order through Amazon Prime it will arrive quickly.)
· Oiler boiler bottle, size 490
· Gatorboard size 23x31”
· Water container – Watauga Arts Can provide
· Paper towels
· Covered palette (John Pike Big Well covered artist palette)
· 5” Natural sponge (available in the paint department of Lowes, in Boone, NC)
· Double sided tape 1” (lowes or walmart)
· Fine sand paper (Walmart or Lowes)
· Black Sharpie Marker, Fine point (available at both Cheap Joe’s and Hobby Lobby)
· Xacto knife, #11 and blade
· Notebook and pen
Watauga Arts Council Policies and Procedures:
Classes must be purchased ahead of time
No refunds after the first class
We will offer one built in makeup class